The Workplace Challenge was a national programme from the CSP Network which ran from 2014 – 2018 and engaged over 75,000 employees from thousands of workplaces across England, particularly targeting inactive people. The programme comprised a unique combination of online technology and offline activities and support all designed to develop an active workplace. Over 17,000 inactive employees took part and more than 1,000 Workplace Challenge Champions were trained with 3.5 million activities logged on the website and app.
A new approach to active working – Thanks to the success of Workplace Challenge, we know what works in relation to workplace physical activity and we're now keen to turbo charge the help available to workplaces to achieve our visionof an active lifestyle being the norm for everyone.
So, what do we know?
- Inactivity has a huge impact on the health of individuals, on business and the economy
- Physical activity has the potential to combat over 20 diseases, reduce the risk of depression, reduce absenteeism, increase productivity and boost morale
- More employees need the opportunity to move more in and around the working day #everyminutecounts
- More employers need to provide flexible working practices, create a culture where active working is the norm and empower employees to move more
- A new approach is required to tackle inactivity in workplaces
We're busy planning a new partnership approach for active working and the foundations of our new model will be ready later in October. The new model aims to enable champions to drive culture change and help employees to move more with tools and resources available to employers through a new hub and expert help and advice to get your workplace moving from your County Sports Partnership.
Some of the things we're working on include:
- A workplace physical activity charter/ accreditation
- Employer needs assessment tool
- Employee needs analysis survey
- Champion training seminars
The main change is that we're moving from an employee facing programme to a new model that provides employers with inspiration, tools and expert help from County Sports Partnerships and our partners to tackle inactivity. We will soon be announcing our plans for the new model. Please contact your CSP for details of local help and opportunities for workplaces to be active. Please watch this space for updates and please send any comments or ideas to AndrewWatson on firstname.lastname@example.org