CSP: Northumberland Sport
Further Information: Northumberland -These Girls Can Swim With Seals
THESE GIRLS CAN SWIM.......WITH SEALS
Delivered by Active Northumberland’s Community Sports Officer, an Open Water swim programme was delivered during the summer of 2015, which was designed to engage young women aged 16-25 in the north of the county.
Using Sport England’s Sportivate funding, the initial aims of the programme were to:
- Provide a viable alternative exercise activity for young women, which broke down some of the perceived barriers to indoor swimming e.g. very structured and repetitive in lanes with sessions quite often delivered in a competitive environment etc.
- Create sustainable pathways for participants in a safe and enjoyable environment by signposting them onto local open water swimming groups, which are organised by qualified instructors.
- Utilise Sport England’s ‘This Girl Can’ campaign to inspire greater female participation.
- Demonstrate the importance of the health & safety considerations when open water swimming.
- Demonstrate the stunning natural environment Northumberland has to offer