PE and Sport Premium
The Government invest £320m per year directly into primary schools with the objective of achieving self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport and a long term vision that all pupils leave primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
Using local insight, Active Partnerships proactively coordinate support with national and local partners to help primary schools maximise the impact of Primary PE and Sport Premium.
Improvements as a result of the funding are expected to include:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
The Active Partnership national team has been working with national partners including Sport England, Youth Sport Trust (YST), Association for Physical Education (afPE), UK Coaching and UK Active Kids to develop guidance for schools to effectively utilise the Primary PE & School Sport Premium.
Three posters have been produced to capture the latest national advice and guidance. The posters can be downloaded below:
The Employment and Deployment of Coaches
Effective Professional Learning
AfPE and the YST have updated the national template to aid Head teachers, Governors and teachers to support the online reporting. You can find tools to help you measure and report on the impact of your spend by clicking here.
Other sources of advice for schools are below:
Department for Education: Guidance on the Primary PE and Sport Premium and the grant conditions can be found here . A review into the use and impact of the Premium can be downloaded here.
UK Coaching: UK Coaching hosts an online toolkit which provides a wide range of resources relating to coaching in primary schools and can be accessed here.
Association for Physical Education: has a page dedicated to the Primary PE & Sport Premium.
Sport England: Advice is located on Sport England Primary Schools. A series of short films for Headteachers and PE subject leads showcasing best practice in the use of the Premium can also be viewed here.
Youth Sport Trust: All relevant material is hosted in the ‘How we can help’ section of the YST website here.